Sunday, April 24, 2011

Clean Eating Cheesecake

Happy Easter everybody! I hope you all had a fantastic day!
For supper this evening we ended with this super delicious clean eating cheesecake. It was so good, that I thought I'd share it with you :)



Clean Eating Cheesecake
Crust
1 1/4 Cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
 2-3 tsp 100% Apple Juice (I just added the juice until the crumbs stuck together enough for my liking. Also I used a 100% Mixed Fruit Juice, and it worked fine, you can't taste it anyways.)

Filling
1 lb Cream Cheese (400g)
1/2 Cup Plain Yogurt (I used Vanilla that's all we had)
1/2 Cup Sucanat (I used 1/4 Cup because of the yogurt)
2 Large Egg Whites
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/8 Tsp Sea Salt

Directions
1)Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8-inch pie pan or spring form pan with olive oil. In a small bowl mix the graham cracker crumbs with juice until crumbly. Place mixture in prepared pan, gently pressing onto the bottom and partly up the sides of the pan.

2)Filling: Place all filling ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Gently pour filling into the crumb lined pan. Spread evenly.

3)Bake for 20 minutes or until center sets. It's ready when a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Chill several hours or overnight.

4)Garnish. This is the fun part. Basically whatever you put on it decides the flavor. The one I made is chocolate, peanut butter, and banana. The original recipe, which you can find here, uses strawberries.

The cheese cake is not very tall, in fact it is rather short, so don't be alarmed. As I just stated in step #4 my cheesecake was chocolate, peanut butter, and banana. I sliced bananas over top right before serving, and drizzled melted chocolate and peanut butter sauce over top. Here is the recipe I used for the peanut butter sauce if you are interested.

Peanut Butter Sauce Royal

1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Liquid Honey
1 Tbsp. Butter
1/3 Cup Smooth or Crunchy Peanut Butter

In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, milk, honey and butter. Heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat: add peanut butter and beat with beater until smooth. Cool before serving. Yields  one cup of sauce. Great for topping ice-cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment